Many people associate sustainability with plastics and recycling, the two buzzwords. What if we told you it's about embracing simple things we always wanted to do? Sometimes it is these small, simple, yet fulfilling activities that you would love but often end up missing in our everyday lives.
In this article, we will explore three simple things most of us want to do:
- Eating meals together
- Step out together
- Explore your neighbourhood
The common thread running through all three? The cherished company of your loved ones.
Eating meals together:
In our fast-paced lives, family meals often take a backseat. But what if we told you that rekindling this tradition is a small change with big benefits?
- Energy Savings: Eating together is not just a great way to bond but also good for the environment. When you warm meals together, you save electricity and natural gas.
- Health Benefits: Early dinners promote better weight management. Eating together encourages adhering to healthier schedules, benefiting everyone in the family.
This is one good step which is not just eco-friendly but also a great way to strengthen bonds with your loved ones.
Step out together:
After a long day at work or school, most of us turn to our screens to relax, whether the phone, the TV or the iPad. While this is understandable, it may not be the best thing for your health, because in all likelihood you have already spent the entire day glued to the office computer.
Instead, why not step down together to your nearest local garden or even in your society compound? This simple step is not only good for the environment, it is also a great way to live healthier.
- Energy Savings: Your TV consumes 30-50 watts per hour depending on the size of the screen. Just reducing TV time by 30 minutes per day will save between 5000 and 10,000 watts annually.
- Health Benefits: Breathing in the fresh air and connecting with nature is fantastic for your overall health, particularly your eyes.
- Physical Activity: Moving your body is always beneficial for your health. Instead of sitting in front of a screen, consider enjoying a good conversation or just the nice outdoors at least for half an hour per day. The added reward is that you end up reducing electricity usage at home at the same time.
Explore your neighborhood:
While it's common to dream of exploring far-off places, we often overlook the beauty that lies right on our doorstep. Take some time to explore your neighborhood.
- Less Carbon: Just one kilometer of walking can save more than 5 kg of CO2 per week. That's a significant contribution to sustainability without even realizing it.
- Health Benefits: Walking is a fantastic exercise. No need to elaborate on that, right? But here's a fascinating fact: walking a kilometer can help you burn 50-100 grams of calories.
- Family Time: Even an easy walk in the park is a great way to spend some quality time with your children and loved ones
As we approach 2024, consider taking these effortless good steps into your life. With the holiday season around the corner, there's no better time to rekindle relationships, improve your health, and contribute to sustainability. Sustainability isn't just about grand gestures; it's about finding joy in the simple things that make life richer and more fulfilling while also being more eco-friendly. So, go ahead and embrace the pleasure of eating together, the serenity of nature, and the hidden gems in your neighbourhood.