So if you are someone who is working and spends a big amount of time in the office, you can still individually make a difference with GoodSteps.
Here are some tips to get started on GREEN initiatives to lower the footprint no matter whether you are part of the Green Team or not. Do add new ones you find by emailing us at [email protected]
- Travel- Morning traffic is something that we wish to avoid but can’t escape unless starting early or are lucky enough to have a workplace in a less congested place. On top of that the parking constraints or availability challenges. Top that with the increasing fuel prices and deteriorating air quality. Ridesharing is after all not that inconvenient. Green Your Commute by carpooling. It saves time with lesser vehicles and traffic, saves fuel, helps the environment, and saves money. Now how to start it? For those who want to know about how this can be approached other than asking friends and colleagues- Check in your housing society groups for people traveling towards your office location. As morning timings are more predictable and mostly fixed for many rather than evening, even if you can do it once a week it’s a good start.
- Power- Turn the Computers/ Laptops Off instead hibernate or sleep mode when leaving the office. Not significant for a single computer or laptop but when done by all the employees or even half makes a difference.
- Drinking- Are the disposable bottles and cups you use rinsed as well as the vessels and cups at home? In today’s time when we don’t want to compromise on cleanliness and sometimes clean certain items twice; are you taking chances by using disposable drinkware? You can control what you use if you Sip from a reusable water bottle or your reusable mugs instead paper/plastic bottles and cups. Moreover, Single-use things are one of the main reasons behind the litter and pollution problem we face today. One-time adoption/ purchase of item can help make this switch and become a big change-maker solution.
- Stationary- Again not significant for a single pen or pad but when done by all the employees or even half of them, makes a big difference to the trees, air, etc. So what is to be done here A. Refuse and reduce the FREE-stationery give-away- Free-Pen/ Free-pencil/Free-Pads in say meetings/ conferences. B. Use refillable pens, and better pencils where possible. C. Reuse File Folders- Just place a new label on top. Ask your team members to adopt the same practice.
- Less Paper – Opt for electronic bills, statements, and documents wherever possible. It’s easy to organize, search and store also when we face space constraints.
- More on Paper- Few printing tricks when adopted makes difference. Three options we suggest A. Standard Word settings leave a huge margin. Reducing the setting means that less paper will be needed to print the same amount of information. B. Reuse single-sided printed paper by making a notepad held by a metal clip. C. Set Up Printers To Automatically Print Double Sided.
- Helpful Handkerchief- Are you unknowingly using chemicals, which may be safe but doesn’t suit you. Washrooms at most places don’t have the chemical-free or naturally derived paper towels. Why to take the chance then on your sensitive skin. Use a handkerchief instead of paper towels in the washroom.
And once you are able to adopt any 2-3 of the above successfully you can try the king of all i.e. make it viral and we would be happy to help you – Reach out to us at [email protected] and we would be happy to schedule a webinar/seminar in your office to tell you about the good steps we can all take for a more sustainable tomorrow.